From Girl to Woman:
Puberty is the time when a girl’s body grows into a woman’s body. These body changes are necessary for you to be able to have children. Your body will usually start to change between 9 and 12 years of age. Though the same changes will happen to every girl, they won’t happen to all girls at the same time. That means you might experience changes in your body at a different time to your friends.
Some body changes you might experience are:
- growing taller all of a sudden
- your breasts getting bigger
- growing hair under your arms, on your legs and around your vagina
- your hips getting wider
- putting on weight
- sweating more, getting oily skin or pimples, or having increased body odour
- beginning menstruation.
With all these body changes going on, you might be experiencing new or different feelings as well. You might feel:
- shy or confused
- sexual, or have sexual thoughts
- a desire for greater independence
- many different feelings that change very quickly – we call these mood swings!
But don’t worry – all these changes are completely normal and healthy. They are a sign that you will soon be a young woman. Talk to someone you trust if you have any questions or want to discuss the changes you are experiencing. It’s good to share!